Program Director Bulletin for COVID 19 Response (May 6th, 2020)
May 7, 2020
Program Director Bulletin for COVID 19 Response
May 6, 2020
This PD Bulletin will be published weekly on gme.wustl.edu. The current week’s edition will be under Announcements and prior editions will be posted under Program Leadership.
Weekly Zoom PD Q&A session on Thursday nights at 6pm-7pm
May 7, 2020- Approaching the 2020-2021 GME Application Process. Presented by a
Working group of Drs. Ilana Rosman, Tammy Sonn, Eric Strand, and Kathy Diemer. COVID has
thrown a major wrench into such usual processes as student away rotations, application
requirements, student research opportunities, timing of the application process and of course,
interview travel. Dr. Rosman will present the group’s work on approaches to these issues
from various national organizations and specialty groups. We will discuss options for how
we might want to approach them as an institution in the weeks and months ahead.
Please send any specific questions to email@example.com before 3p Thursday May 7 2020
NEXT WEEK’S TOPIC May 14, 2020: Virtual Recruitment and Interviewing for Residencies
May 21, 2020-Utilizing Telemedicine in Teaching- contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in being part of this presentation
AAMC/GRA Webinar: Supporting Clinician Well-Being During COVID 19 Webinar
Thursday May 7, 2020 12:30p-2:00p National Academy of Medicine Collaborative on Clinician Well Being and Resilience.
This workshop will focus on ways to incorporate active learning strategies when teaching large group sessions. The workshop’s leaders will first present principles of adult learning and the “why” behind active learning. Multiple different strategies for active learning will be presented and incorporated into the workshop. In addition, audience members will have the opportunity to participate in some of the active learning strategies during the workshop. Workshop leaders will also present tips for success in the facilitation of active learning in large groups. Please review the available slots below and click on the button to sign up. Thank you!
If you would like to share an educational innovation you are using in your program or if you would like to be part of the work group, please email Dominique Cosco directly at email@example.com.
- Zoom support groups – the support groups provided by Raquel Cabral and our UME psychologists have had low attendance, so we are suggesting that trainees attend support groups offered via psychiatry as well: Psych ZOOM GROUP SCHEDULE WITH LINKS.
- Program specific support groups with Dr. Cabral – several programs have set up regular group sessions with Dr. Cabral that have been very helpful. You can do this via her online schedule at: https://go.oncehub.com/Raquel
- Physician suicide – This has been a prominent topic in the news over the past week or so with the recent death by suicide of a NYC emergency physician as well as other physicians around the world. Additionally, I am aware that a virtual showing of the controversial film “Do No Harm” is being offered by the filmmaker every Sunday this month. If this is a topic that you or your trainees would like more conversation around, please contact me so that we can facilitate that discussion (Duncan_j@wustl.edu). For the film especially, if you have trainees that are planning to attend one of these showings, I strongly encourage you to reach out to me to consider a facilitated discussion.
- Resource reminders and updates–
- Coping with Covid Hotline – staffed 8am – 7pm M-F, and willing to discuss any stressor for any WU staff or WU/BJH/SLCH trainee. 314-286-1700
- WU (844-365-4587) and BJC EAP (314-747-7490)– available to ALL trainees
- Move by BJC – $10 membership for virtual classes, 7 day trial free
- A reminder to send recognition and gratitude for anyone who is helping support your trainees, training programs and patient care: https://gme.wustl.edu/wellness/gratitude-and-recognition/
- We have added a Gratitude Blog to the GME Website to feature all of the appreciation messages we receive.