Wellness Statement of Commitment
The Washington University SOM/Barnes-Jewish Hospital/St. Louis Children’s Hospital GME Consortium is an organization deeply committed to developing an educational environment that is supportive of the wellbeing of house staff and faculty. We recognize the primary importance of having a clinical learning environment that reinforces respect for patients and providers and holds all physicians and staff mutually accountable for their personal wellbeing and that of other members of the healthcare team.
At an institutional and programmatic level we are committing resources to reduce provider burnout and enhance resilience of our house staff as they learn the challenging process of caring for patients and balancing societal needs. We encourage house staff to actively engage in community efforts to bridge the differences across our diverse community. As providers they must learn to identify how social determinants of health impact patient outcomes, and to seek opportunities to ameliorate health disparities both locally and globally. We provide programs to support house staff as they meet the physical and emotional challenges of healthcare providers in our world.
As a nationally and internationally recognized center of clinical and research expertise, and the primary safety net hospital for the greater St. Louis area we will commit our resources for training exemplary clinicians. Our graduates will have the skills to render culturally sensitive care to all patients while maintaining their own joy of learning and personal health.
Below are some of our wellness resources:
- BJC WellAware Fitness Center
- Child care on campus
- Physicians accepting new primary care patients (PCP List) as of September 2017 (pdf)
- Professional and Personal Development Resources
- Resources for Physician Wellness at the ACGME (Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education)
- Washington University Medical Center Noon-Time Aerobics Class (pdf)
- Washington University Medical Center Noon-Time Aerobics Class on Facebook
- WebMD Portal through Washington University Wellness Connection
- Wellness Connection, A Washington University in St. Louis Office of Human Resources Initiative
- Wellness Resource Listing on the Department of Surgery Website
- WUMCHA (Washington University Medical Center Housestaff Auxillary)